MERP does not file liens on homes

This column first appeared in the San Antonio Express News on March 30, 2018.

Your father died with a Will. The Will should, if properly written, nominate an Executor to handle the estate. The Will should, if properly written, allow the Executor discretion to sell any real estate so long as the net proceeds are used to fulfill the terms of the Will. The Executor is not restricted by MERP, since MERP has dropped its claim against the estate. MERP does not file any type of lien and is not authorized by law to file any type of lien on the house. Your brother’s disability provided grounds to eliminate the MERP claim but did not give your brother an ongoing special right to continue to occupy the house.

Consequently, the nominated Executor should hire an attorney to probate the Will. The Executor will have the right to sell the house and have the right to evict the disabled brother. Obviously, the Executor will want to handle this as gently as possible. Once your disabled brother understands that he does not have special rights, he and the Executor can look for alternatives. Perhaps he can rent the house from the estate for a period of time long enough to make other housing arrangements. Perhaps he has the financial ability to buy the house from the estate and receive credit for the 1/10th share which he is inheriting.

Paul Premack is a Certified Elder Law Attorney with offices in San Antonio and Seattle, handling Wills and Trusts, Probate, and Business Entity issues. View past legal columns or submit free questions on legal issues via or

#featured #Medicaid #MERP

Paul Premack served as President of the Texas Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) and is a Member of the Washington Chapter of NAELA. He is Certified as an Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by the National Elder Law Foundation as accredited by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the ABA. He is licensed to practice law in the States of Texas and Washington and handles Estate Planning and Probate in Texas and Washington, including Bexar County and King County Probate, Wills, Living Trusts, Durable and Medical Powers of Attorney, and Elder Law. Premack has since 1989 written the legal column for the San Antonio Express News which is syndicated in other Hearst Newspapers around the USA.


DISCLAIMER: The fact that you read this website does not make you our client nor us your attorneys. The material and information on this website and associated blog is provided for informational purposes and is not legal advice. This site does not create an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the users of this site. Visitors to this site should consult a licensed attorney before taking any legal action. To review our Privacy Policy, click here.

Phone: (210) 826-1122     All calls to our office go to Voicemail

© 2021 by The Premack Law Office, Paul Premack, Attorney.