Does Life Estate Deed allow son to run cattle on dad’s land?

Dear Mr. Premack: My father left me land and a house in a Life Estate. He kept the right to live there till his death and any proceeds the land may incur such as lease money. He is not living on the property and I want to clear shrubs and trees from the land and use it for cattle. Can he stop me from using the land? – BM

From your description, it sounds like your father used a traditional Life Estate arrangement. Under it, Texas Law says that he retains all control, use and enjoyment of the property so long as he is alive. Texas Law further states that at the moment of his death, all those rights are transferred to you instantly. But so long as he is alive, Texas Law states your rights are extremely limited: you can veto the sale of the property and you are entitled to ownership upon his death. You have no right to enter the property without his consent. You have no right to clear shrubs and trees without his consent. You have no right to run cattle on the land without his consent. Thus, your best plan may be to seek his consent, and perhaps lease the land from him under an agreement that terminates at the moment of his passing.

Paul Premack is a Certified Elder Law Attorney practicing estate planning and probate law in San Antonio.

Original Publication: San Antonio Express News, March 19, 2012

#LifeEstate #Property

DISCLAIMER: The fact that you read this website does not make you our client nor us your attorneys. The material and information on this website and associated blogs are provided for informational purposes and are not legal advice. This site does not create an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the users of this site. Visitors to this site should consult a licensed attorney before taking any legal action. To review our Privacy Policy, click here.

Paul Premack, 2019-2020 President of the Texas Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) is *Certified as an Elder Law Attorney ( CELA ) by the National Elder Law Foundation as accredited by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the ABA. He is licensed to practice law in Texas and in Washington State, and handles San Antonio Probate and Bexar County Probate, Wills, Living Trusts, Estate Planning, and writes the legal column for the San Antonio Express News.

Phone: (210) 826-1122     All calls to our office go to Voicemail

© 2020 by The Premack Law Office, Paul Premack, Attorney.