Handle common law marriage with a Relationship Agreement

This column first appeared in the Express News on June 29, 2016.

Dear Mr. Premack: I am widowed, and have recently met a wonderful woman. We are both in our 70’s, have adult children, and have various assets that are adequate for our expenses. We are considering moving in together instead of getting married. If we do live together, is there a legal arrangement we should make? If we get married, how can we keep our financial lives separate? – E.K.


You are wise to consider the legal ramifications of creating a new intimate relationship. The law allows you to enter into a binding Relationship Agreement. The idea has been around a long time in the form of Nuptial Agreements.