Support Payments Are Taxable Income

Dear Mr. Premack: After nearly forty years, I am recently divorced. Part of the divorce agreement was that my (now) ex-husband has to pay support to me. Does that support have to be included in my income? — VF

I would suggest you ask your accountant, but Federal law states that routine support payments received pursuant to a divorce decree are taxable to the recipient, and deductible by the payor. Further, there are Federal tax rules that require the payments to be in cash or its equivalent, that you and your ex- cannot reside in the same household, and that you cannot file joint returns. On the other hand, assets transferred pursuant to the divorce (like bank account balances or real estate title) are not included in your taxable income.

Paul Premack is a Certified Elder Law Attorney practicing estate planning and probate law in San Antonio.

Original Publication: San Antonio Express News, March 19, 2012

#Alimony #Divorce #SpousalMaintenance

DISCLAIMER: The fact that you read this website does not make you our client nor us your attorneys. The material and information on this website and associated blogs are provided strictly for informational purposes and are not legal advice. This site does not create an attorney-client relationship between our attorneys and the users of this site. Visitors to this site should consult a licensed attorney before taking any legal action.

Paul Premack, 2019-2020 President of the Texas Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) is *Certified as an Elder Law Attorney ( CELA ) by the National Elder Law Foundation as accredited by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the ABA. He is licensed to practice law in Texas and in Washington State, and handles San Antonio Probate and Bexar County Probate, Wills, Living Trusts, Estate Planning, and writes the legal column for the San Antonio Express News.

Phone: (210) 826-1122     All calls to our office go to Voicemail

© 2020 by The Premack Law Office, Paul Premack, Attorney.