Affidavit of Heirship changes records

This answer first appeared in the San Antonio Express News on March 30, 2018.

Since your husband died without a Will, the filed Affidavit of Heirship would have invoked the provisions of the Texas Estates Code about passage of title. If the house was community property, and if you are the mother of all your husband’s children, then you received title under the intestacy laws which makes using an Affidavit of Heirship appropriate under your circumstances. When you hired an attorney to prepare the Affidavit of Heirship and filed it with the County Clerk’s office, you did change the real property records. If the Affidavit of Heirship was properly prepared, signed, and recorded it acts as evidence of the legal transfer of title to you without the need to go to probate court.

Paul Premack is a Certified Elder Law Attorney with offices in San Antonio and Seattle, handling Wills and Trusts, Probate, and Business Entity issues. View past legal columns or submit free questions on legal issues via or

#featured #Homestead #propertytaxes

DISCLAIMER: The fact that you read this website does not make you our client nor us your attorneys. The material and information on this website and associated blogs are provided for informational purposes and are not legal advice. This site does not create an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the users of this site. Visitors to this site should consult a licensed attorney before taking any legal action. To review our Privacy Policy, click here.

Paul Premack, 2019-2020 President of the Texas Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) is *Certified as an Elder Law Attorney ( CELA ) by the National Elder Law Foundation as accredited by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the ABA. He is licensed to practice law in Texas and in Washington State, and handles San Antonio Probate and Bexar County Probate, Wills, Living Trusts, Estate Planning, and writes the legal column for the San Antonio Express News.

Phone: (210) 826-1122     All calls to our office go to Voicemail

© 2020 by The Premack Law Office, Paul Premack, Attorney.